Competency Standard I

 I strive to keep a safe and healthy learning environment. I make sure my room is set up in a way that encourages the children to explore and try new things. It is set up so that there are no blindspots which helps me to be able to always have eyes on every child. I always keep outlets covered and do not have any cords or other hanging string/wires. I do daily checks of the toys and furniture to ensure nothing is broken and I keep a choke tube to measure the materials the children play with daily. 

CS I a:

I believe my menu is not only appealing but healthy. There isn’t a ton of sugar or repetition. It is mainly whole grain and fresh fruits and veggies when able. Toddlers need whole milk (once they transition off of breastmilk or formula) to help provide the fats they need for normal growth and development. After 12 months children are at risk for an iron deficiency so my menu has an iron rich food for almost every meal. In addition to the iron rich foods, I also aim to include vitamin c foods because they improve the body's iron absorption. 


CS I b:

My classroom has lots of sensory learning opportunities as well as dramatic play/pretend play. My class is currently an infant/toddler room with the youngest kiddo being 9 months and the oldest 16 months. I believe infants and toddlers in this age range learn mainly through sensory and hands-on play. My classroom doesn’t have as many options as most toddler rooms but is set up similar to the toddler rooms in my center. 

CS I c:

I believe children need to be stimulated daily. My plan has lots of reading, movement of the body, sensory/science, music and sign language. These things help them develop their communication skills, social skills, book/reading enjoyment, critical thinking skills, problem solving, self awareness and more. These are things that children need as they grow and develop, things that they will use for their entire lives. It also provides lots of adult interaction which will contribute to their social-emotional skills and mental development. In addition, this plan is mainly geared towards mobile infants and toddlers but can be adapted for young infants by moving the standing/walking/crawling activities to the floor and doing them either sitting down or as a tummy time activity.


Comments