Competency Standard III

 My teaching style strongly mimics gentle parenting. “Gentle parenting is a parenting style that promotes a relationship with your children based on willingness and choices, rather than demands and rules made by a parent. It teaches children to do what is good by using positivity and patience, rather than fear or punishment.” Doing this helps to build relationships and trust with the children which make them feel comfortable with me and in our class. Doing this also helps them to be more willing and open to learn. 

CS III a:

One way I support their positive self concepts is that we do lots of praise. The adults in the room model praising ourselves when we reach a goal, we praise the children and encourage them to praise their peers as well. I show the children respect. They are not just little people who need structure and to be bossed around, they are tiny humans who have feelings and thoughts and ideas, they just need help working them out. I set boundaries/rules and help them to understand the rules. I don’t just tell them “no, stop” when they are doing something they shouldn’t, I explain why we don’t do those things. I support their social/emotional development by encouraging them to play and engage with their peers. We do activities that involve the children in groups versus individually. We do activities in front of the mirror and talk about our emotions and when they show different emotions throughout the day, we help them to put a name to that emotion. I encourage their curiosity and maintain a room in which they can safely explore those curiosities. We establish positive relationships with the children by giving them lots of cuddles, responding to them when they cry, holding them when they drink their bottles, sitting with them when they eat meals. 


CS III b:


I was raised in the old school “children are seen and not heard, stop crying/whining before i give you something to cry about” ways. My views are very different from that. I believe in treating children like the humans they are, showing them compassion and understanding and respect, explaining things when needed and guiding them in the right direction. I deal with challenging behaviors by praising good behavior, using positive language and redirection when challenging behaviors occur and talking through any issues in a positive way. I don’t do timeouts or isolation, if a child needs some alone time, they can go to our safe place corner in the room. 

Comments