Professional Philosophy Statement

The early childhood period of development is special because they learn so much in that time. They are like sponges and take everything in. The things that they learn in this time period sets them up for the rest of their life. I believe that the goal of early childhood care and education is to do just that, set them up for success for the rest of their lives. I fully believe the true test of our work is shown in the children after they leave us. To me, a perfect early childhood environment is a place where the children can go everyday and feel safe and loved and happy. A place where they feel comfortable and taken care of. If a child doesn’t feel safe and comfortable their minds will be in survival mode and not in a place to be open to learning. It is also a place where the parents/caregivers should feel safe and comfortable as well! They should feel like they can come to us with ANY concern and feel like they are heard. Our school should be a safe place for all!


I have chosen to work with young children and their families because they are our future! The work that we do now, no matter how minimal it seems, is what will shape their entire lives. I believe that the most important thing I can do as a teacher/caregiver is not only to teach them but to nurture, love, encourage, protect and support our students, and families, while also providing routines, stability and boundaries so that they may feel safe and open to learning new things.


I continue to grow my skills and knowledge in working with young children by always being open to new information. I do a lot of research on different development aspects, I take classes regularly  on my own and professional development classes with my center. I love to learn new things and find new ways to do things. Beyond teaching and learning, I believe I have an important role to play in the lives of children and families by providing any and all support and resources they could possibly need.  


It is important that we approach education with young children in a gentle way. We must make sure that we are educated in how infants and toddlers' brains work so that we are able to provide exactly what they need. If we don’t do our jobs as early educators then our children may struggle with even the simplest tasks later in life. 


Comments